Monday, May 22, 2006

The View from Here



This is a view of the Paps of Jura 'over the garden wall'. As you can see it is a fine day, despite the howling wind. I was trying to use this as my profile photo, but, despite being small enough, and a jpeg, the system keeps telling me it is not ( a jpeg that is). Computers, don't you love 'em? The cat is sunning herself on the windowsill and the seals have all taken to the water. The cows have hoofed off to the other side of the bay. It was oh so different this time yesterday...

I had opened the big gate to put the landrover in the drive so as to minimize the homicidal (what is the latin for woman? Femina? feminacidal?) tendencies of the aforementioned mattress. I fought the mattress, and I WON! I then left the gate open with only a 12 inch gap between the post and the car and went off to sew a jacket, talk to mother on phone, drink tea etc. Looked out of window to see garden full of cows. Big black cows. With babies. (Cows, like bears, are very protective). How did they fit through such a small gap? Can they dislocate their ribs like pythons do their jaws? Sinister behaviour of cows. I tried to shoo (or 'shu' as they say on the islands) them out but they like our overlong lush grass too much. Eventually I opened the bottom gate, and took to banging the ground with my Leki pole and shouting "shu!". It took twenty minutes, but they all left eventually. Breathed a sigh of relief until I saw that they were circling the walls and mooing balefully at me. First malevolent mattresses and now psychopathic ruminants. I swear that one of them stood still for ten minutes just looking through the kitchen window at me. I suspect that the pantomime might have been watched (through bins) by the farmer. They would have come to save me eventually. I hope. Decided that bringing the mattress upstairs was a job too far, so went and drank wine instead.

3 comments:

Pseudo-intellectual lunatic said...

niec cam

Linds said...

As one of the crones, I do feel our story is worthy of a blog of its own!

Unknown said...

you're tormenting the rest of us who aren't there.... i wanna be on Jura.

dave