Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Waking Up in San Francisco

I was just falling asleep last night when I was woken up with a jolt. It felt like someone pushing the bed really hard, or something falling, but with no sound. An inaudible thud. Then all the coathangers in the wardrobe started to rattle along with the bottles on the dressing table. Then stopped. Extremely weird sensation. The cat leapt into the air and off the bed (an audible thud this time). I got up and crept about, having visions of REALLY LARGE burglars, before accepting the reality that I had just experienced an earthquake. In rural England. Waited a while for aftershock and opening credits of full disaster movie, and then climbed back into bed. Not under it. Did consider sleeping in the wardrobe just in case, but realized it would not be particularly good protection against a whole upper floor of falling bricks. Cat hid somewhere. Traitor. I have just checked on the news, and apparently it was a 5.2 with an epicentre in Lincolnshire (about 50 miles away). How exciting, and also a reminder that stuff can come from anywhere at any time.
And that God will never let me down.
'God is our strength and refuge, our help in trouble, so we will not fear, even if the earth shakes..
Slept like a log. Now for strong tea. I am off to test drive a new (to me) car later this morning. Will post picture.
Note to British readers, I have a secret yen to be 'Stigette' on Top Gear. Except for the tight fitting white leathers.
Pink is more my style.

No comments: